Sunday, June 1, 2014

Section 1. Introduction


This is the opening of a blog created with the intention of telling the story of two towns separated by space and history.

Having been raised as a fifth generation Charleston, South Carolinian, I thought I knew more than the average person about the history of my native city but I found that there is always more to learn.

As I was attending the funeral of my french wife's brother in Toulouse, France I was not completely surprised to be approached by a distant relation who started her conversation with the opening, "Are you not from Charleston caroline du sud?", in a very heavy french accent. Not completely surprised since the whole world has recently discovered my hometown as a top wedding destination and a number one pick by the "Conde' Nast Traveler" magazine as a top vacation spot, I thoroughly expected her to say that she had heard of its charm and beauty but no, that was not the case.

She went on to ask me if I knew that a section of her small hometown of Flers in Normandy was called Place Charleston? To that I could only reply no with a sense if hesitation and fascination. I was hooked.. Armed with a new history interest I returned to Charleston on a new quest.

Over the course of the next few months I started searching for the back-story to Place Charleston. 

Here is that story... 
Bill McSweeney 
(Source: Archives de Flers)

No comments:

Post a Comment